- The Squater – this is the family member who attempts to live in the house of the person who recently passed away. Often, this family member will attempt to live rent free and will do so for as long as possible much to the chagrin of the other family members.
- The Least-Favored Child – this is the family member who knows that they know that they know that mom and dad had a “favorite” child. This family member will fight over things of relatively insignificant value and sometimes hire a lawyer to represent them in the fight over mom and dad’s sock collection.
- The Poor Communicator – this family member has been put in charge of settling mom and dad’s estate and does a poor job of communicating with the rest of the family members. When this happens, the shunned family members will hire counsel when they feel they’ve done as much as they can which often forces the poor communicator to hire his own counsel.
- The I’m-ready-now family member - this family member is ready to find out what mom and dad has in their home. Typically, another family member will feel that not enough time has passed and this will cause conflict between the family members.
- Lord Fauntleroy – although this family member doesn’t stir up trouble, the differences in the socio/economic status of his or her siblings will sometimes cause trouble when the siblings want to sell property for the immediate gain while this family member is able to sit on the asset for an indefinite period of time. This type of issue can typically be resolved by a good Marietta Estate Planning Attorney.
With a good estate plan in place, you can make things smooth and easy for your family and loved ones when you pass. If you’d like to discuss these issues and have your plan set up the right way, the first time, give us a call at (678) 809-4922.